Carole's Baby Knits Forum Forum Index Carole's Baby Knits Forum
a place to discuss Carole's knitting patterns

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booties and Hat to match the Preemie Cardigan Sweater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carole's Baby Knits Forum Forum Index -> Preemie Cardigan Sweater
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wovenflame

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Booties and Hat to match the Preemie Cardigan Sweater Reply with quote

Hi. I just finished knitting up the "Cardigan for Larger Preemie or Small Newborn" in Bernat Baby Jacquards Florals and it turned out lovely! Now I'm wanting to use up the rest of the large ball making a hat and booties that will work with the cardigan as a set.

I will knit the "Tiny Baby Cap" but I'm wondering which of the sizes would best coordinate with the Cardigan for Larger Preemie, (5lb) baby sweater?

Also, is there a baby bootie or sock pattern in the same weight of yarn that will fit a baby this small?

I'm knitting the set for our Hospital Axillary and even though I have knit for my own three children and two granddaughters I have absolutely no experience with small babies. All of ours have been big brutes! LOL.
CarrieB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the size called "small baby" would work best with this sweater.The 80-stitch hat might also work. You may have to adjust the crown height or do the 80-stitch version on a lower needle size..
Our preemie grandson was into the 80-stitch hat at about 5 lbs. Our small twins in Texas did not need hats, so it is several years since I knit for preemies.
Wovenflame

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarrieB wrote:
Probably the size called "small baby" would work best with this sweater.The 80-stitch hat might also work.

Thanks! Someone on Ravelry sent me a chart with various head sizes and I eventually decided to use the 80 stitch hat (my gauge was a bit tighter) but only knit it to the height of one of the smaller sizes. It might not end up being correct, but at this point I just had to go with my best guess. I'm hoping the ladies that staff the Hospital Auxiliary will give me further input for "next time".
CarrieB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some booties on my site. You could make the instep a little shorter and pick up 1 fewer stitch on each side for every 2 rows shorter.

My own experience with booties for preemies it this: they do not use them in the NICU, because there is a monitor (Pulse-ox??) attached to the baby's foot.
The hats are by far what the preemies need the most, as precious calories for growing are lost if the baby's body has to work to keep its head warm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carole's Baby Knits Forum Forum Index -> Preemie Cardigan Sweater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: