Carole's Baby Knits Forum Forum Index Carole's Baby Knits Forum
a place to discuss Carole's knitting patterns

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

underarm holes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carole's Baby Knits Forum Forum Index -> Baby's Raglan Sweater
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marciawright

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: underarm holes Reply with quote

Hi. I love the pattern but every time I knit it, I end up with holes under the arms that I have to sew up. I found that stitch holders stretch the end stitches so I've been using yarn. And I've tried picking up a couple of stitches under the arms. However, I still have the problem. Is there a way to get around this? Thanks.
CarrieB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hard one to answer. When you do the sleeve, you pick up the 4 underarm stitches plus an extra one at each end. Be sure you decrease out the extra stitches by knitting each together with the adjacent stitch near the body of the sweater. Sometimes I do them and they come out flawless, and other times there is a little gap, which I close up with the tail of the yarn that was tied on for the sleeve. Experiment using paired decreases, slanting toward the underarm.
Hope this helps.

-C
CarrieB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. I was thinking about your problem in the middle of the night (insomniac!!) and it occurred to me that you probably are picking up the stitches too close to the edge, getting the large loops from the cast-on, which gives a loose, open stitch. Try picking up your stitches from the knitted row just below the cast-on. Pick up one "leg" of each stitch, being consistent in the side of the stitch you use. You may need to use a smaller gauge needle just to pick up these 6 stitches, and then work them with the size needle you are using. Does this make any sense? I hope so. Take a look at http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=183
Let me know if it works out.
-C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carole's Baby Knits Forum Forum Index -> Baby's Raglan Sweater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: